This Wearable Payment Summit took place during MWC Barcelona 2019 and featured speakers from Barclays, Timex, Gemalto, Zwipe and Tappy Technologies. The event was moderated by Sarah Clark, editor of NFC World.
The all-morning conference was held on Tuesday 26 February 2019 and saw each speaker draw on their own extensive experiences in the market to put the case for building payment functionality into wearables such as wristwatches and jewellery. The event included the following fact- and data-packed presentations:
- Opening remarks and keynote, presented by Wayne Leung, CEO at Tappy Technologies. This presentation (watch video) outlines the market opportunity presented by traditional watches — more than one billion units, worth US$20bn, are sold annually — and how Tappy now has a solution to bring payments functionality to the traditional timepiece market.
- Wearable payment and data insights, presented by Rob Morgan, head of sales and partnerships at Barclays Bank. This number-packed presentation (watch video) looks at the rise of contactless payments in the UK, and how wearable payment pioneer Barclays has evolved its bPay offering as new opportunities and technologies have emerged.
- The rise of traditional watch brands in digital payments, presented by Brian Pemberton, VP of advanced concepts at Timex Group. This presentation (watch video) looks back at the rich history behind one of the world’s oldest watch brands — and at the future it sees in the payments opportunity.
- Unlock the power of NFC in wearable payments: Securing your digital credentials, presented by Valerie Gleize, product marketing manager for banking and payments at Gemalto. This presentation (watch video) looks at how tokenization, token service providers and the different hardware form factors offered by Gemalto can help wearable makers build secure payment products.
- Biometric authentication: Digital identity, security and fraud, presented by André Lovestam, CEO at fingerprint biometric specialist Zwipe. This presentation (watch video) looks at the potential of biometric security to drive the mass market adoption of wearable payments and how biometrics could be key to attracting millennial consumers.
The presentations were followed by a panel-based question and answer session, moderated by NFC World’s editor Sarah Clark:
A 67-page document containing the slide presentations produced by Tappy Technologies, Barclays Bank, Timex Group, Gemalto and Zwipe can be downloaded below. The document is sponsored by Tappy Technologies and has been approved by the NFC World editorial team.
How to access this slide deck
This 67-slide deck is available free of charge to NFC World Knowledge Centre members (PDF format, 7.5MB).
Rate this resource
This item is part of the What's New in Payments Knowledge Centre.